Snort mailing list archives

lex is insufficient? (daq 0.6.2)

From: tgiles () echoforest org
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:34:21 -0600 (CST)

Hi, All.

Trying to build a copy of Snort 2.9.2 on Debian 5 x64 system and and running into an issue with configuring daq 0.6.2.
Receive "error: Your operating system's lex is insufficient to compile libsfbpf." whenever I try to run a configure.

I have the default flex 2.5.35 and Bison 2.3 installed. latest available Flex version is 2.5.35, so there's no way to
upgrade it to something else.

Packages:

* libdnet - 1.11
configured with: ./configure --prefix=/opt/snort && make && make install
* libpcap - 1.1.1
configured with: ./configure --prefix=/opt/snort && make && make install

* daq - 0.6.2
configured with: ./configure --prefix=/opt/snort --with-libpcap-includes=/opt/snort/include
--with-libpcap-libraries=/opt/snort/lib
-or-
configured with: ./configure --prefix=/opt/snort --with-libpcap-includes=/opt/snort/include
--with-libpcap-libraries=/opt/snort/lib --without-flex --without-bison

relevant error from the config.log:

configure:11538: checking for capable lex
configure:11549: result: insufficient
configure:11552: error: Your operating system's lex is insufficient to compile
         libsfbpf. You should install both bison and flex.
         flex is a lex replacement that has many advantages,
         including being able to compile libsfbpf.  For more
         information, see http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html .

Re-downloaded packages, tweaked environment variables, verified paths, confirmed no extra dev- packages to install and
can't get this to go the next step. What am I missing?

Thanks for any input you might have

tom