Snort mailing list archives

Re: sid:13272; rule is not so good

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 17:04:52 -0500

SEU is our internal Sourcefire product name for rule releases.  That rule was also written 4 years ago, while that's no
excuse, the knowledge continually evolves, (as do the detection features in Snort) for how to make things faster.  We
consistently review the performance of rules and upgrade them as necessary.  We also welcome and review all submissions
to us to make things faster and improve detection.  We can replicate tons of different types of networks, but our
customers have much more coverage of different types of traffic than we do.

As far as UAT, we test our rules in many different types of environments before release.  Both test environments and
live environments.  We are also increasing this coverage with the VRT Rule test group that is in the process of being
rolled out.

As far as responding to false positives and bad performance, we field requests from customers through our support
department, via email at fp[at]sourcefire.com, and our submission interface http://snort.org/uploads.  We respond with
improvements to our rule, false positive analysis, and other comments about the vulnerability when we receive this
information, and generally update the rule (if possible) to handle the FP case in the very next rule release.  We
generally provide the updated to rule the customer that requested it right away.  I don't know if your engineers
provide feedback on rules, but we'd be glad to welcome it at the above link, if they are indeed submitting feedback to
you that much, we'd welcome the feedback as well.

We release detection for MS Tuesday vulnerabilities the very same day that Microsoft releases their protection.  We are
always one of the first IPS vendors to do so and have a bigger depth of coverage.  If new ways of exploiting a
vulnerability is released, we cover this right away.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT