Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:24:02 -0500

I'd prefer to keep the discussion on the list it started on.  Thanks for the offer.

I've contemplated responding to this thread.  However, I feel that any way that I respond to point out the merits and
differences in between the rulesets will just be seen as a flame war.  We've done this before, and I am not about to do
it again.

I've contributed to both rulesets, I know how they both work, and I'm probably the only person that does.

I will correct an incorrect statement with my own statement that we haven't released any closed GID 3 rules since May
of 2011.  All of our rules have been open since then.  In fact, we've went back through and opened up the vast majority
of the GID rules that we were allowed to do so to.

Anything else I say I think will be misconstrued as "someone from the VRT pouncing on ET", even though I'm both a
member of the VRT and the OpenSource Community Manager.

If the facts are wanted, I'd be glad to discuss, but I am concerned about the above.

Joel