Snort mailing list archives

Re: PCRE Performance

From: vincent () ragosta net
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:56:36 -0400

Wally,

Okay--this makes perfect sense.  I didn't realize it would inspect the content parameter before invoking the pcre check.

Thanks!

Vincent

On Mon, 10/10/2011 03:52 PM, Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com> wrote:
There is nothing wrong with using pcre. Just make sure you use the flow: option, ensure that the rule also has a
content: option, make the pcre as inexpensive as possible, and, if possible, limit the pcre to a particular buffer.

So if you were looking for internal clients making requests to external urls that look like that, then something like
this would be appropriate:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"Blah Blah Blah";
flow:from_client,established; content:"/testing";
nocase; http_uri; pcre:"/testing[1,3]\.html/iU"; classtype:trojan-activity;
 sid:<xxx>; rev:1; )

Flow restricts the rule to established sessions, using content: with http_uri helps limit the number of packet the
pcre will need to evaluate. The "U" option on the pcre restricts it to checking the normalized URI buffer.

Over all, I don't think that is a very expensive rule, even though it uses a pcre. How expensive it _really_ is would
be based on how often "/testing" is found in normal traffic on your network.

Thx,

Wally