Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with using 2 sensors

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:56:53 -0400

If you run snort with -D, you shouldn't have to background it..  "&".

On Sep 27, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Lay, James wrote:

<snip>

/usr/local/bin/snort -E -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1 &
/usr/local/bin/snort -E -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth2 &

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf \
-d /var/log/snort -f snort.log -w /etc/snort/bylog.waldo \
-G /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -S /etc/snort/sid-msg.map \
-C /etc/snort/classification.config

<snip>

Mike,
Just like folks are saying, you'll need two separate instances of both snort AND barnyard2 (I thought the same thing
when I first started with barnyard...thought "I can run it once and it will read all my u2 files from all my running
snort instances"...wrong ;)).  I would copy snort.conf to snort1.conf and snort2.conf, and barnyard2.conf to
barnyard21.conf and barnyard22.conf, then change where they log at least where the u2 files are kept for snort, and
change to reflect the interface in both barnyard files.

Change in your barnyard2 conf files:
Barnyard21:   config interface:  eth1
Barnyard22:   config interface:  eth2

And in your snort conf files:
Snort1.conf:  output unified2: filename /var/log/snort1/snort1.u2
Snort2.conf:  output unified2: filename /var/log/snort2/snort2.u2

Then run like so:

/usr/local/bin/snort -D -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort1.conf -i eth1 &
/usr/local/bin/snort -D -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort2.conf -i eth2 &

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard21.conf -d /var/log/snort/snort1 -f snort1.us -w
/etc/snort/snort1.waldo
-G /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -S /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -C /etc/snort/classification.config

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard22.conf -d /var/log/snort/snort2 -f snort2.us -w
/etc/snort/snort2.waldo
-G /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -S /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -C /etc/snort/classification.config

I've found separating out the .u2 files in different directories to be cleaner (although I have all instances logging
to a single all.fast file for easy monitoring).  You can change the names to whatever...I've found naming the
interfaces (internal/external) and integrating it into the conf name works well too (intbyard2.conf, intsnort.conf).
Hope that helps.

James