Snort mailing list archives

Re: Active response not working in 2.9.0.4 ?

From: Risto Vaarandi <risto.vaarandi () seb ee>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:23:23 +0300

On 09/19/2011 10:07 PM, Russ Combs wrote:
Can you explain what exactly is not working?

Can you run snort with --daq dump --daq-var load-mode=read-file -Q
arguments and look at inline-out.pcap?

Thanks for the suggestions, I used them to do some debugging for couple
of hours.

To answer your first question, I run into the issue when running Snort
in inline mode with 'reject' actions (for terminating some TCP sessions
with RST-packets). While these rules were operating properly for
Snort-2.8, I wasn't able to get 'reject' action working for 2.9.0.4 and
2.9.1 on RHEL5.

However, when running Snort with dump DAQ as you suggested, I was able
to see RST packets in pcap files. I tried then the ipq DAQ both in
passive and inline mode, with tcpdump running on network interface. With
the passive mode, RST packets were there, but not for inline mode.

Then I discovered accidentally that if inline mode is set not with -Q (I
had used this option so far), but rather with '--daq-mode inline',
things suddenly started running as expected. So it seems to me that for
some reason the -Q command line option gets not exactly the same
treatment as '--daq-mode inline' which influences the 'reject' action
and 'resp' rule option.

But thanks for your help, I'll try to avoid -Q for the time being.

kind regards,
risto

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Risto Vaarandi <risto.vaarandi () seb ee