Snort mailing list archives

Flowbits and threshold

From: Dheeraj Gupta <dheeraj.gupta4 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:33:23 +0530

Hi,
I was wondering how are flowbits interpreted in a rule that has threshold
keywords.
Suppose I have a rule that checks if my proxy has just denied a request to
user-
alert tcp any 8080 -> any any (msg:"Proxy Denies";
content:"ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED"; http_header; threshold:type
threshold,track by_dst, count 60, seconds 60;
flowbits:set,proxy.deny;flowbits: noalert; sid:1000010; rev:1;)
Since I want to log the packet that shows what URL the user was trying to
access, I write the following rule to log one packet only for a denied
request exceeding threshold-
alert tcp any 8080 -> any any (msg:"Proxy Access
Denied";flowbits:isset,proxy.deny; content:"While trying to retrieve the
URL:",nocase; flowbits:unset,proxy.deny; threshold: type threshold,track
by_dst, count 60, seconds 60;sid:1000011; rev:1;)

Is the flowbit set when the first packet with ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED is
seen or when the threshold is passed?
Also if I do not put the threshold limit in second rule and allow first rule
to also generate alerts, I get about 60 alerts from second rule for each
alert of first rule. Since I unset the flowbit after the second rule fires,
shouldn't the second rule quieten down till the next time threshold is
breached?
I can't use tag because the background script (that processes these alerts
expects only one packet per alert and also since docs say that tag doesn't
work great with database output plugin.

Regards,
Dheeraj