Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort web interface

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:46:47 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Halliday [mailto:paul.halliday () gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:39 AM
To: Joel Esler
Cc: Snort Users; Randal T. Rioux
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort web interface

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
wrote:
Responding to my own email:

If anyone wants to take this task on (side by side comparison of GUI
tools), we'll put it up on Snort.org and I'll give you free stuff!

I nice complement to this would be a survey for the community:

What would you like your interface to do? (in general, open ended
questions)
Features, Reports, Niceties, etc. expand on this of course.

While feature requests are great, the requests always tend to be
somewhat
contrived because they are in within the context of a specific project
and/or developers personal goals.

What do people want?

Using the 'delete events' as an example. This would have never
occurred to
me. I have over 300,000,000 events for the past 2 years and I would
hate to
lose any of that data. It is so rare that I need to delete an event
from the
db that I don't mind striking it from the CLI.

I have been trying to put a survey together but just haven't had the
spare
cycles, I think the results from a survey like this data would
contribute
greatly to all projects out there.

--
Paul Halliday
http://www.squertproject.org/

Good point Paul.  Something to consider is the target audience...for me,
tailing the fast file and tsharking the pcap file is great for realtime
incidents, and snortalog worked ok for trending.  But that's
me....Executives clearly wanted something much more pretty...which is
why I started down the road of a GUI in the first place.

James