Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reload Snort to use new ruleset

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:44:23 -0600

Odd...I've had no issues with sending SIGHUP to snort 2.9.0.5.  Also, I
don't think you need to kill barnyard2 every time you restart
snort....barnyard2 is smart enough to start reading the new unified file
once it's created (I think that's what the -d directive is for):

Jul 26 15:25:29 ids barnyard2[15104]: Closing spool file
'/opt/var/log/lan/lan.u2.1311714681'. Read 4 records
Jul 26 15:25:29 ids barnyard2[15104]: Opened spool file
'/opt/var/log/lan/lan.u2.1311715529'
Jul 26 15:25:29 ids barnyard2[15104]: Waiting for new data

James