Snort mailing list archives

Re: Homebrew Snort Reactive/Unified2 output

From: Korodev <korodev () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 10:09:21 -0500

It is my opinion that you are better off spooling off of U2 files.  Given
what you describe, you would not be reacting in real-time anyway and packets
have already made it through, regardless of reacting using an output plugin
or spooling off of U2 files.  The obvious benefit of spooling off of U2
files is that it's snort version independent and does not require you to
patch / maintain changes to the snort source every time a new version comes
out.

Just my .02
JJC

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking spooling off U2 files in the end
will probably be the best solution, but I would like to experiment
with the output plugin. However, the common polling approach when
dealing with the U2 files won't work very well to achieve the desired
goals, so I'll have to implement some sort of async solution using
kqueue or something similar in FreeBSD.

\\korodev