Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort multithread

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:28:08 -0500

You don't need Snort to be multicore when you can run multiple Snorts
which are load-balanced using the DAQ module for PF_RING.  Will
Metcalfe coded flow-pinning into the newer version as well as CPU
affinity.  You can then run up to 8 snort instances which receive an
eighth of the flows apiece.  I wrap a simple shell script around
starting them, like this:

#!/bin/sh
for COUNTER in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8; do
        mkdir /tmp/snort$COUNTER > /dev/null 2>&1
        kill $(cat /tmp/snort$COUNTER/snort_eth1.pid)
        sleep 5;
        /usr/local/snort/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
--pid-path=/tmp/snort$COUNTER -l /tmp/snort$COUNTER -D &
done

In my snort.conf, I have these DAQ config lines:
config daq: pfring
config daq_dir: /usr/local/lib/daq
config daq_var: clusterid=44
config interface: eth1

Then you can cat /proc/net/pf_ring/* to see all of the snorts and how
they are working together.  See Luca's blog post for more info:
http://www.ntop.org/blog/pf_ring/using-pf_ring-with-snort-and-suricata-for-idsips-acceleration/
.