Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules are not matched across the packet

From: Bhagya Bantwal <bbantwal () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:46:06 -0400

What is your stream5 config?

Have you turned on reassembly on HTTP ports? Do you have the HTTP ports in
stream5 ports?

This should be fixed by adding ports 80, 8080 to ports client config of
stream5

-B

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 5:19 AM, mahendra kumawat <mahendra.u27 () gmail com>wrote:

Hi ,

I came across an issue today where snort doesn't appear to match content
across packets and since the feature is very basic to the IDS, I wanted to
raise a red flag and seek your help.

The issue is as follows:

1.  Vulnerability
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/47826

2. Exploit
http://downloads.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities/exploits/47826.txt

There is two exploit ,let`s take only first in this case.  It's a form
based
cross site scripting attempt using HTTP POST. I wrote signature for this:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg: " Argyle
Social
Cross Site Scripting attempt"; flow:established, to_server;
content:"stream_filter_rule"; http_client_body; reference:bugtraq,47826;
classtype:web-application-attack; sid:50000027; rev:1;)

I attached a pcap for testing "47826f.pcap". Please look at packet no. 4
and 5
across which the exploit content is split. when i was running snort on this

pcap ,no alert was genrated.

But when i removed "http_client_body" keyword in rule then i got a alert.
So i
think when i  use "http_client_body" there is some problem with across
packet
matching.

I also tried after change "content:"script"; , but when i
used "http_client_body" keyword after content ,i did not get any alert.
When
i removed "http_client_body" ,then i got alert. It is showing also same
problem.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS
(msg: "NIKSUN-WEB-CLIENT Cross Site Scripting attempt"; flow:established,
to_server; content:"script"; http_client_body; r
eference:bugtraq,47826; classtype:web-application-attack; sid:50000027;
rev:1;)

I have below configuration in snort.conf for http_inspect.

# http_inspect: normalize and detect HTTP traffic and protocol anomalies

preprocessor http_inspect: global \
    iis_unicode_map unicode.map 1252

preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
    profile all ports { 80 8080 8180 } oversize_dir_length 500 flow_depth 0

post_depth 65495

Snort version:

 -*> Snort! <*-
  o"  )~   Version 2.8.6.1 (Build 39)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
http://www.snort.org/snort/snort-team
           Copyright (C) 1998-2010 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
           Using PCRE version: 7.4 2007-09-21

So please advise me what is wrong with my snort ? why this is happening?
how can i resolve this problem ?

Please communicate with me on same id (mahendrau.27 () gmail com )

Thanks
Mahendra