Snort mailing list archives

Re: Poor bandwidth using snort 2.9.0.4 in afpacket mode

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:19:05 -0400

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart () gmail com> wrote:

On 04/05/2011 09:13 PM, Russ Combs wrote:

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart () gmail com
<mailto:carlopmart () gmail com>> wrote:

    On 04/05/2011 08:32 PM, Russ Combs wrote:
     > You could try commenting out the normalize_* to see if it is doing
     > anything your traffic doesn't tolerate very well.

    Perfect!! .. But why?? I don't understand because normalize_* configs
    are supposed to work inline mode, no?

You mean disabling normalize_* brought your throughput up to what you
expected?

Correct.

 You could try disabling just one at a time to narrow it down.

Ok, problems appears when "preprocessor normalize_tcp: ips ecn stream"
is enabled.

All works ok if I disabled this option and activating "normalize_ip4"
and "normalize_icmp4" ...

Have you tried re-enabling the rules etc with just that disabled?

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com