Snort mailing list archives

Re: barnyard2 not populating sig_name properly when using EMT rules

From: JJ Cummings <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:46:07 -0500

You can also use a tool like PulledPork to manage your rules, it creates an updated sid-mag.map file for you!

Sent from the iRoad

On May 9, 2011, at 10:54, Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com> wrote:

On 5/9/2011 3:35 PM, Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
Hi guys,
     Has anybody seen anything like this? When I use the default rules,
everything populates fine, but when I use the EMT rules, I get things
like "Snort Alert [1:2012648:0]" in the sig_name field in the signature
table. Looking at the rules definitions, I don't see any obvious reasons
why - the signature names are in the same place in the default and EMT
rules. Has anybody run across this before?
     Thanks,

You need to update your sid-msg.map file to include the signature names
for all the other rules you are loading. This happens when you use
something like barnyard or barnyard2 processing unified output. I looks
up the name of the signature in the sid-msg.map file to get the human
readable names. If it isn't there, then it just uses the sid for the name.

cat EMT/sid-msg.map >> /etc/snort/sid-msg.map

Then restart barnyard/barnyard2. Look into using something like
pulledpork or oinkmaster, it handles and updates your sid-msg.map file
for you automatically.

-- Eoin