Snort mailing list archives

NSS Labs : CheckPoint 97.3% recommended profile hoax ?

From: Crusty Saint <saintcrusty () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 18:18:23 +0200

Hi,

For a while now i've been stumped by the NSS Labs IPS resulsts for
checkpoint during the latest ISP Test.

http://www.checkpoint.com/campaigns/intrusion-prevention-system/index.html
http://www.checkpoint.com/images/campaigns/intrusion-prevention-system/nss-block-rate-ips.pngfor
the picture which dates January 11th 2011

Now my question is to what extent does this claim hold any water ?

I've seen and evaluated this recommended profile and it is sparse. IMHO not
really what i would take for a profile that realistically holds back 97.3%
of all tests.

So to make things worse for this intermediate IPS Engineer i've laid my
hands on the NSS Labs testing methodology to better understand if checkpoint
either tweaked it's profile to nss-labs testing or they really did deliver
close to the Holy Grail for what IPS's are concerned.

I'm begging for your input and knowledgeable comments. Such trickery bothers
me. And if it is not trickery i definitely need to soup up my skills and
mojo fast.

Best Regards,

S-C

--
- - -
Security Engineer - Tags: Analyst Systems Security Linux Firewall Network