Snort mailing list archives

Re: Akamai X Forwarding Proxy as Attack Vector

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:09:07 -0500

Akamai-Origin-Hop: 1
Via: 1.1 akamai.net(ghost) (AkamaiGHost)

Akamai runs an open proxy?  Can you show what the attacker would do to
run their requests through Akamai?  This is indeed cause for concern!

I believe attackers are using Akamai's proxy in the hopes that any alerts
generated will be ignored due to the large amount of false positives caused
by Akamai's legitimate activity.  There is also a chance that some people
have simply whitelisted traffic from Akamai.

Absolutely.  I'm sure many have used a BPF to ignore Akamai traffic
entirely as it is a huge load on sensors.

Would it be beneficial to create a snort sig to detect X Forwarded from
Akamai as 'Likely Hostile Traffic'?

Maybe, how often do you see this?