Snort mailing list archives

Re: SourceFire Appliance 3D9900 capabilities

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:27:19 -0400

There is no integer answer to that question for any IPS. If any IPS
vender ever tells you differently, you should just get up and walk out
of the room.

It depends on what kind of traffic the sensor would see (not just the
volume), what is the quality of that traffic from a
fragmentation/session perspective, what do you want to look
for/protect from, number of resources given to a detection engine,
what preprocessors will you need to run, number of ports that need to
be tracked by stream5, and what the overhead of the rules your running
are... just to name a few.

In SF devices, each rule has a "Rule Overhead" rating (low, medium,
high, very high). While this probably isn't a scientific numerical
rating (correct me if I'm wrong here), it isn't some random attribute
either. You would probably be able to run far fewer "Very High" rules
than "Low" rules (hmmm that gives me an idea for a feature request).

Thx,
Wally