Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with noisy alerts for known application

From: Daniel Shepherd <shepdelacreme () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:09:28 -0400

You need to use "and" for that filter to work...with the "or" if it's
any port except the first in the list then it will pass the filter.

On Apr 10, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Geoff Sweet <geoff.sweet () wemadeusa com> wrote:

So I added a filter that blocked out our game ports.  I can see in the process list that snort is running with the -F
option and I know it's loading the file since I put a little error in the bpf file and it errored out on it.  The
filter that I put is:

not port 15779 or not port 7000 or not port 7100 or not port 7101 or not port 7200 or not port 7201 or not port 7202
or not port 7203 or not port 7204 or not port 7205

Seems pretty simple and straight forward.  But still I see TONS of alerts on these ports as "(portscan) Open Port".
I don't get it.

Help?

-Geoff