Snort mailing list archives

Re: error while loading shared libraries

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 05:32:10 -0700

On 11 February 2011 00:18, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com> wrote:
I have just updated from 2.9.0.3 to 2.9.0.4. The install went fine but I get
this error message when I try to run snort:

snort: error while loading shared libraries: libdnet.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

It was compiled with the following options on Fedora 14 (snort 2.9.0.3 was
working fine originally):

./configure --enable-ipv6 --enable-targetbased
--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules --enable-ppm --enable-perfprofiling
--enable-zlib --enable-normalizer

What is it actually looking for here as I am not sure and have looked through
the usual stuff I get with shared objects and libraries?

What does `ldd snort` give you?

Thanks for any help given, Ke

Kevin,

I've found strace to be pretty handy in finding out just where snort is
trying to find libnetŠjust something else that may help you out.

James