Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Reliability of signatures

From: Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell () secnap com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:43:38 -0500

On 2/10/11 8:30 AM, Michael Stone wrote:
Well, even that distincion isn't so clear. Does "what it's supposed to
be looking for" mean "the string the signature was written against" or
"the malware the signature was written against"?

if someone is scanning my LAMP network for IIS6 holes, are those FP's?
btw, when on the icsa labs anti-spam initial steering group, all the vendors argues about was a SPAM and HAM was.
that was the largest, longest and noisiest and most contentious issue.

what is a spam?
a) from email admin perspective:
b) from user perspective.

from a user, its 'something I didn't want, even if I signed up for it'

ham? something I wanted, even if I didn't sign up for it.

needed to come to an agreement, since part of the icsa labs certification was > 95% spam capture, and less then 1 in 100,000 FP's.

so, if brother in law on aol gets a joke fwd to him, that has been around 100 times, and sends it to user, and the (business tuned) anti-spam engine blocks it, is that a FP?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
>*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r). For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/