Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Matt Jonkman in the new Hakin9

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:31:40 -0600

Again I am not advocating completely ignoring malware or the CnC, but
it only works if the assets connects to a segment being monitored by
an IDS. In an organization where the majority of user assets are
mobile, a stationary monitoring solution is not adequate. We have
sales folks that might connect to the corporate network via VPN 2-3
times a month. I can't just write them off as lost. I have to
aggressively protect them and my network IDS isn't going to be able to
do that.

Your responses are certainly valid for your organization's case
(mostly off-network devices).  My point is that an IDS is not a
defensive tool, it is a scorekeeper.  It's not there to prevent
infections, it's there to let you know when the defenses have failed.

If we are talking plausible hypotheticals then I'd say... neither. I'd
take HIPS, Firewall, AV, and content filtering on a host built from a
standardized image with limited user rights and white-listed
executables with integrity checking and all managed under a
comprehensive vulnerability management program. I'm not saying that is
what I have, but if we are wishing that is what I'd want. That
combination will out protect any IDS you can buy with any ruleset you
can buy. And that will be true today and a year from now.

We have all of that and do all of that.  We still had over a thousand
infections last year.  Again, IDS is not protecting anything.  It's
the canary in the mine that's dying to tell you when protections fail.

I don't disagree with the first part of this, but I'm also not ready
to throw in the towel for "defense" and allocate those resources to
just cleaning up the mess created from a "resistance is futile"
mindset.

Re-imaging takes resources, so any preventative efforts that can be
made have a linear return on investment.  We simply can't afford to
throw in the towel and resort to clean-up, because that's too
expensive for re-imaging alone.  What I'm saying is that expect to do
some clean-up, regardless of how many defenses you erect.  However, in
order to find the hosts that need cleaning, you're going to need an
effective IDS.  So, when you're allocating resources to erecting
defenses, don't forget that you need to allocate resources to your
scorekeeper.

That is why writing to the vulnerability is preferred over writing to
the exploit. That mindset switch was made back around the 6000-7000
SID time frame.

This used to be a true statement.  Unfortunately, you cannot "write to
the vulnerability" on the network anymore.  This is the same as
writing to the exploit because it will be encrypted and/or encoded.
The shift that has still not occurred is the understanding that all of
the actual exploiting of vulnerabilities is done on the host, not the
network, because the network is only transporting the encoded exploit
to the host where it is then unpacked and executed in a client-side
app.  This is why I'm not telling people to stop installing AV/HIPS
and I'm still saying that patching is important.  This is why I AM
very skeptical about IPS effectiveness for blocking exploits.

I agree, but again your area of coverage is very small when compared
to everywhere that asset can go. If we limit our view to our network,
then there is still a better way to catch this stuff than traditional
IDS. You touched on it a bit. Correlation. Take those two pieces of
information, combined with log and flow data from the hosts and a good
baseline traffic profile. You'll catch far more than just malware.
You'll catch insider abuse and data theft/loss as well. And for no
extra cost you'll find misconfigured systems/network gear too.

I'm including flow analysis/correlation under the umbrella of "network
IDS," so I agree with you here.  I will add that flow anomalies are
even more false-positive prone than content signature anomalies, so
it's a formidable task to do effectively in a large org.  That said,
go grab the Zeus IP list off of abuse.ch and run your flows against
it.  It takes little effort and you won't be sorry!

1) Is that JAR on the white-list? No? I'm not overly worried about it then.

That sounds nice.  I wish I had that, but I can't for reasons you
touch on below (whitelists are hard to maintain and a burden on the
enterprise):

2) Oh how I wish I could just write areas of the globe off. In 10
seconds can think of 5 countries I would outright block at the edge if
I could. The problem is in a multi-billion dollar company with a
global sales presence you can't do that. Of those 5 countries I'd
write off, we have an office in 2 of them, so not everyone is afforded
the luxury of geographic blocking. I run all the IP based
known/possible bad host rules from the ET set. Most of the lists are
pretty good indicators of something that needs to be looked at, but
90'ish% of the hits we get from the RBN lists are for legitimate
business traffic.

True true true.  That's why we can't block--only monitor.  I am
certainly against xenophobic block lists.  But if a host doesn't
usually go to a certain country for exe files, then it probably
warrants a quick follow-up (*cough* StreamDB *cough*).

Yup that was my point. The host protecting its self is the PRIMARY
defense. Not IDS. Host based Content filtering, firewall, HIPS, AV ...
then network IDS. That puts IDS as the 5th level of protection. And it
only works when connected to the protected network.

99% agree.  The 1% difference is that I need you to put a "P" where
your "D" is in "IDS."  IPS is definitely 5th best as an effective
preventative tool.  What I would add, though, is that IDS is the only
thing on the list as a scorekeeper, and since 1st-4th place are at
best 50% effective, I'd put the scorekeeper at the top of the list.

That is interesting. I have not read either of those, but I definitely
will. Thanks.

Unbelievable reports.  Stop whatever you're doing and read them!  Also
note that they are extremely scientific in their methodology and
numbers, and these are all first-hand investigations.  Verizon worked
both with and without the US Secret Service on hundreds of these last
year alone.

Thanks for the response,
Wally

Thanks for the discussion!  I really like to hear other viewpoints,
especially from orgs that are setup differently than mine.