Snort mailing list archives

Re: freebsd/snort 2.9.0.3 daq: how do I verify it is using the ram?

From: Michael Altizer <xiche () verizon net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:09:08 -0500

On 01/29/2011 09:02 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
looking to make sure the snort/freebsd ports I am working on is actually using the daq libraries.

snort --daq-list
Available DAQ modules:
pcap(v3): readback live multi unpriv
ipfw(v2): live inline multi unpriv
dump(v1): readback live inline multi unpriv

start snort with:
-dDqI -m 022 -k none --nolock-pidfile --daq pcap --daq-var buffer_size=524288

top with and without doesn't show anything close to using 512Mb of ram.

so, how do I tell if it actually allocated the ram? and is using it?

before snort running:
top:  2913M
sysctl -a | grep 'Free Memory Pages'
Free Memory Pages:    2985284K

after two copies of snort running:

top: 2661M
sysctl -a | grep 'Free Memory Pages'
Free Memory Pages:    2723108K

looks like just a little over 256M, basically, what snort was using without specifying the buffer.

The buffer_size variable for the PCAP DAQ module is more of a "best effort" thing than anything else. I call pcap_set_buffer_size() and then it's up to PCAP's implementation on your system to do its best to try to set aside that much memory for packet buffers if it can. I honestly don't have experience with the libpcap codepath for FreeBSD, so I don't know if it even tries to use that. Heads up though, the value is in bytes. So what you requested was 512kb.

-Michael