Snort mailing list archives

community rules, where to get them

From: Igor Zinovik <zinovik.igor () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:53:06 +0300

  Hello, snort-users.

In FAQ i read about snort community rules.  But i do not understand
where to get them.
I'm deploing snort 2.8.6.1 on freebsd 8.1, it is installed from ports.
 Its default
configuration file contain following lines that i had to commented out:

% egrep -e '^#include' ~etc/snort/snort.conf
#include $RULE_PATH/local.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-exploit.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/telnet.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-dos.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-sql-injection.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-web-client.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-web-dos.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-web-iis.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-web-misc.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-web-php.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-oracle.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-ftp.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-smtp.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-imap.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-nntp.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-sip.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/other-ids.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-bot.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/community-virus.rules
#include $RULE_PATH/emerging.conf

My oinkmaster has following urls:
% egrep -e '^url' ~etc/oinkmaster.conf
url =
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/b83726cbdb938dfd7fe75d0c404886144e35363a/snortrules-snapshot-2861.tar.gz
url = http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open-nogpl/snort-2.8.6/emerging.rules.tar.gz

But when i start it and it manages to download signature files.  I still do
not see that community*.rules does not appear in my /usr/local/etc/snort/rules.

I run oinkmaster this way:
% sudo oinkmaster -C ~etc/oinkmaster.conf -o ~etc/snort/rules

Even if i uncomment url that points to community rules, oinkmaster
fails to fetch them.
Downloading file from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/downloads.cgi/Download/comm_rules/Community-Rules-CURRENT.tar.gz...
/usr/local/bin/oinkmaster: Error: could not download from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/downloads.cgi/Download/comm_rules/Community-Rules-CURRENT.tar.gz.
Output from wget follows:

 --2011-01-26 10:42:20--
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/downloads.cgi/Download/comm_rules/Community-Rules-CURRENT.tar.gz
Resolving www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20
Connecting to www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
2011-01-26 10:42:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Oink, oink. Exiting...

Can someone explain me where to get community rules or they are deprecated and
not maintained anymore by snort community?