Snort mailing list archives

Re: sid-msg.map incomplete again

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:31:52 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:49:21 -0500, waldo kitty wrote:
On 1/25/2011 14:30, Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. wrote:
Nigel,

That's great if you use pulledpork, we do not.
PulledPork was not a requirement for snort to work correctly.

there is also a create-sidmap.pl file that can be used to update your
sid-msg.map file... we have our update script run it every time the
rules are
updated... this is several times a day because we also use the ET
rules sets as
well as updating our local.rules...

i forget if create-sidmap.pl comes in the contributions directory or not...

As a couple of other posters have pointed out, the create-sidmap.pl
script comes with the Oinkmaster tar ball.

Waldo Kitty's example of how they use it in their environment is
exactly why it's there and why you should rebuild the sid-msg.map for
your individual needs.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist