Snort mailing list archives

OT: Gentoo users please read

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:47:58 -0400

Howdy,

Please forgive the OT post.

Most snort users know that many users run multiple instances of snort
on a single box. In this type of install it is recommended that each
instance be pinned to a specific CPU. The current Gentoo ebuild does
not handle creating multiple snort instances or CPU pinning and it is
kind of a PITA to setup manually. I have been toying with the idea of
re-architecting the ebuild, init scripts and conf.d file to support
both multiple instance and optional CPU pinning. This would require a
bit of work, so before I go down this road I wanted to get some
feedback from the Gentoo Snort community to see if this is something
Gentoo users need/want.

Would you like to see the Gentoo Snort ebuild, init scripts, and
conf.d file natively support setting up multiple instances of Snort
with the option to pin instance to a specific CPU?

Feel free to respond here (if that is ok with the list moderators) or
directly to me.

Thx!
Wally