Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 23:44:20 -0400

On 3/19/2011 8:58 PM, Martin Roesch wrote:
On Saturday, March 19, 2011, Matthew Jonkman
<jonkman () emergingthreatspro com> wrote:

Let this be VERY clear: I am not impuning the character or
community spirit of Joel or Jason or any of the VRT guys. You're
all great guys and I enjoy working with you all. But you work for
the largest security vendor in the space who's only goal is to get
more market share to jack up the share price while everyone
prepares to cash out, or get yourselves bought by one of the big
5.

Errr... I do have to speak up here. I've worked with Snort (never for!)
for over a decade, before Marty even had a team let alone a company.
He's a nerd like the rest of us. But there comes a time when your baby
grows up and it is a business - and there is a point where you have to
do things different.

Suricata is funded by all of us US taxpayers, so the mentality is
different. You could ship a product that does nothing and still get paid
- though your grant would be yanked after some bureaucrat notices in a
few years :-)

Seriously?  Our only goal is share price and cashing out?  Our goal
is to build great products that solve hard problems to give our
customers the capability to defend themselves effectively. There's a
ton of technology under the covers that makes all that happen (Snort,
RNA, RUA, Immunet, Razorback,etc).

I will say, and I think this is obvious, Marty values his team first.
Then the technology (which is a product of him and his team) and then
making mad bank. The order of this chain is vital. The last can't happen
if they deliver crap.

We don't make any claims to being the company with the largest
market share in the industry but neither does Porsche.  I'm fine with
being a minority in the market if I'm the best.

My only complaint would be the cost of those damn boxes. But I will shut
my trap because a small company named HP/ArcSight signs my checks and
they seem to make with a much higher profit margin :-/

Randy