Snort mailing list archives

Re: Active response not working in 2.9.0.4 ?

From: "Tudor Panaitescu" <TPanaitescu () colorcon com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:14:37 -0500

Hi Jim

Thanks for looking into this, no worries about doing this quick, enjoy the
weekend !

I tried both w/ and w/o the comma w/ the same results. In the Snort 2.9.0
docs they mentioned the comma, that's why I had it there. I've noticed some
other discrepancies i.e. in the included snort.conf, on the stream5_global
config if you don't put commas before max_active_responses and before
max_response_seconds, active response is reported in the logs as inactive:
preprocessor stream5_global: max_tcp 8192, track_tcp yes, track_udp yes,
track_icmp no, max_active_responses 2, min_response_seconds 5; at startup
snort doesn't complain but quietly ignores those.

I am using a bond device on the box in question but I have tried it on
other boxes w/ ethX interfaces w/ the same results. the config line looked
like: "configure response: device bond0/01:02:03:04:05:06[,] attempts 5"

That router log got me too but I would not worry about the cisco message, I
trust more the tcpdump stuff vs. what the router is reporting and AFAICT
there was no SYN anywhere. Maybe a TAC for Cisco is in order...

Thanks a bunch and have a great weekend !
TP