Snort mailing list archives

Re: What makes a complete IDS package?

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:08:55 -0600

Here's what I currently have and I think is pretty much the minimum for any security shop running IDS/IPS (substitute
your favorite software, but since this is a snort list, we're probably all using snort.)

Snort
Barnyard2
Pulledpork (VRT + ET rules)
PRADS or Hogger to build host_attribute table
BASE (could be any of the good alert viewers)
Syslog to SIEM
Integration to Systems Management or Vulnerability Management Systems
Full packet capture/stream capture for further analysis of events