Snort mailing list archives

Re: FP on 1:18369:2 - BLACKLIST USER-AGENT known malicious user-agent string iexp-get

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:13:14 +1300

On 03/14/2011 11:58 AM, Matt Olney wrote:
Actually, in this case this isn't a false positive.  The alert is on a
web get with a user agent "iexp-get" which is associated with
baidu.com.  Baidu is considered adware and malware from some sources
(I'm not judging one way or another) and has a rule here for use if
you see fit.  So you have a policy decision.  If you allow the baidu
service, you can disable the rule.  Otherwise, it worked :)

I've heard that before. If you're Chinese, you think baidu is great
(it's China's Google-killer), but there are always these "rumors" around
of it being "bad"

Siteadvisor sums it up: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/baidu.com
("it's good - but there's a bunch of people who got hacked via it")

I ain't going there: we'll disable the rule :-}

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417