Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.9.0.4 inline active response on Centos 5.5

From: Risto Vaarandi <risto.vaarandi () seb ee>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:15:25 +0200

hi all,
I have successfully built snort 2.9.0.4 on centos5.5 with all DAQ
modules, and ipq and nfw modules seem to work nicely in both passive and
inline mode.

However, I have discovered that features which are related to active
response don't work - the 'reject' action works like 'drop' and doesn't
send TCP RST packet to attacker, and the 'resp' and 'react' rule options
are not doing anything useful either. Interestingly, when shut down,
Snort reports to have injected some packets into the network.

I have built snort with the following options: --enable-ipv6
--enable-gre --enable-mpls --enable-targetbased
--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules --enable-ppm --enable-perfprofiling
--enable-zlib --enable-active-response --enable-normalizer
--enable-reload --enable-react --enable-flexresp3
and also, I have tried to omit some obviously not relevant options, but
in all cases the problem does not go away (I am running my snort inside
vbox virtual machine).

Is active response known to be broken on Centos/RHEL 5?

BR,
risto