Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ourmon

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:04:07 -0700

The closest thing I've heard of to a "learning mode" with Snort, is to run PRADS to build your Host Attribute table, so
that Snort knows what OSes are running and what services on what ports are on your network.  The Host Attribute table
applies to the stream and frag preprocessors, as well as to some rules (ie. http rules that can apply if you are
running a web server on a non-standard port).