Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and multiple logging

From: Mike Kun <mkun () akamai com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 08:52:14 -0400

On 10/06/2010 07:38 AM, egoitz () ramattack net wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to know if I can configure snort to output logs to a remote
syslog and simultaneously to a mysql database. The reason of doing this
this way is for using ACID (that reads from mysql and works in realtime)
and for ossec active responses wich requires logs to be in a log file...
So like I plan to have several snort servers for sharing the load (each
snort scanning each switch traffic) I'm planning to log all snort servers
to a remote syslog (whose file is going to be scanned constantly by ossec
and executing active responses) and simutaneously to mysql in order to
acid to be able to display ids collected data in realtime.

Could be this possible mates?? to log simultaneously to remote syslog and
to mysql??... or is it any other advisable way of achieving this goal??.

Thanks a lot.
Bye!

I believe that Barnyard2 will allow you to send Snort output to multiple
sources and I know that both mysql and syslog are supported. Should just
be a matter of configuring Snort to write to unified2 setting up the
barnyard2.conf file to output both mysql and syslog.