Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] 2.9.0.1 performance issue

From: matan monitz <mmonitz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:17:44 +0200

point taken, thanks
my fault for misunderstanding recent announcements

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM, L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <
l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com> wrote:

Hello.  To be clear, there is no fix for the "http_inspect\stream
reassembly" bug at the moment (if there is a fix in SVN, let me know
so I can take action here b/c this is seriously a non-trivial bug for
me).  Apparently it is an issue with Stream5 having premature buffer
flushing issues.

Government/Critical Infrastructure companies take note: this bug leads
to easy IDS/IPS evasion and this issue, "predates Snort 2.9.0"
according to Sourcefire.

The reassembly fix is in the next release which is going through QA now and
will be released "soon".  Sorry I can't give you an exact date.

Also note that actual evasion depends on the timing of acknowledgements
from target to attacking host and so it isn't always "easy".

-L0rd C.