Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updating sid-msg.map

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:59:35 -0500

The sid-msg.map file essentially maps the Rule MSG alert name to the sid
number assigned to the rule.

This really comes into play when you your output method from Snort is
unified or unified2, and you are taking that output and reading it with
another tool (like barnyard2) for input into the database.

Since the rule msg is not stored in the unified or unified2 file format,
it's necessary for the output tool (barnyard2) to read the sid-msg.map file
to correctly input the names of the alerts into the db when associated with
an alert by sid.

Without this file being read by barnyard2, the alerts in the database will
show up only as gid:sid. (1:2133 for example).

If your output method from Snort is direct to database via the mysql option,
you will not need the sid-msg.map file, however, this output method is not
recommended.