Snort mailing list archives

Re: !!Rolling back Snort rule files!!

From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:26:39 -0500

Hello.  I think we have all been there on the bad ruleset nightmare.
My advise -- use this as a learning experience.

I use oinkmaster but I don't have it configured to download the rule
from the Internets but to get them from the local file system.  I have
a separate script on a management server that pulls down the rules,
makes necessary changes, and pushes them out to the sensors.  That
script has logic in it so that before the new VRT rules are copied,
the current rules are backed up on each sensor.  If there is a problem
with the new rules, I have a different script that I can run that
automatically tells the sensors to revert to the previous rules.
Believe me, it has saved my ass more than once when dealing with the
unpredictable VRT ruleset.

Hope this helps!

-L0rd C.