Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using detection_filter instead of threshold

From: infosec posts <infosec.posts () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:21:16 -0500

It hasn't been forced yet, but this pretty clearly says that it is
going to be forced in short order, unless I'm completely misreading
it:

* event_filter replaces the existing standalone threshold, which is now
 deprecated.  Furthermore, even though event_filter is an alias for threshold,
 which is allowed to appear in a rule (although that use is now also
 deprecated), event_filter will not be allowed in a rule.  **Such use will
 result in a fatal error during initialization.**

**Emphasis mine

There's no point in saying, "it's not broken yet" if you've already
said, "it's going to be broken soon."