Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 and multiple sensors

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:05:17 +1300

On 22/10/2010, at 4:13 AM, Mike Lococo wrote:

Russell,

I am at the point where I need to have more than one snort instance
running on a given sensor so we can take advantage of multiple CPUs
and thus I will be producing multiple unified2 files on a sensor.
Logically there is still just one sensor...

*Physically* there is still just one sensor.  *Logically*, there's two
now... they just happen to occupy the same physical space.

I'll echo the advice of others and say that most front-ends handle this
gracefully.  Are you using custom processing scripts that make
hard-coded assumptions about the sensor-id, or something standard?  All
of the front-ends I've tested handle multiple sensors fairly
transparently.  I didn't even notice the difference migrating from 1 to
4 and then to 5 snort-procs with either Base or Placid.

Thanks Mike, et al!  :)

I'm using placid and already have it set up with to merge some stuff so it isnt a big deal.  What I currently have is
several logical sensors and use a different placid instance for each and list the sids in the conf (this is a recent
addition).

Just wanted to make sure that my understanding of Barnyard2 was correct.

Russell