Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fine tuning Snort

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:02:41 -0600

Kevin and Waldo, you gents are treasuresĀŠI will get to work and report my
resultsĀŠthank you much!

james

From:  Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>
Date:  Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:55:43 +0100
To:  James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>, Snort
<snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] Fine tuning Snort

Well what you can do is:

- Use threshold.conf to supress alerts entirely from certain sources or
destinations and limit the amount of alerts it will fire too. Read the
examples in threshold.conf and put them in your enviroment. If there is
specific sources and destinations you can filter this way

- Use oinkmaster or pulled pork to disable and enable rules from VRT and
emergingthreats.net <http://emergingthreats.net>  that you need. Just start
by not including rules files for things you do not have and then go through
the rules files taking down the sids to disable and then have oinkmaster or
pulled pork scheduled by cron to run an update.

also, the shellcode sigs aren't very reliable as they are extremely FP
prone. Emergingthreats is rules you want to use as well, purely because of
the IP lists (russian business network, botnet control servers & compromised
hosts) and malware sigs (a lot of research into that). Vulnerability wise
the ET rules more complement the VRT rules (personally I get more hits off
the ET rules but that is purely because a lot of malware is out there so you
pick up infected clients trying to reach control servers and so on). A
targeted attack it may be the VRT rules that do the actual detection so best
cover threats to your enviroment, vulnerabilities and such but I think
malware is a threat to everybody. Though on a side note emergingthreats is
releasing a full ruleset which has all the normal rules but also has a paid
part which provides coverage for all vulnerabilities and you choose what is
important http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/ though that coverage is paid
but the emergingthreatspro stuff is completely free and worth a look as we
do try and compliment the VRT rulesets with mostly malware but some
vulnerabilities and things, though it is more amatuers rather than
professionals and only now is the rules getting performance checked,
improved etc by the pro part of the setup to improve the quality of the
ruleset.

Really a choice based on your needs but a well tuned environment covering
everything that effects you is a good approach.

Hope this helps, Kevin