Snort mailing list archives

Re: so_rule problem

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:07:22 -0400

These rules are pre-compiled and are in the subscriber rule packs. They
won't be available in the registered set until Oct 23rd.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 07:47:10 -0700 (PDT), Jimmy Tharel wrote:
I'm trying to get my Snort installation to detect the latest ms10-070
vulnerability.  According to
http://www.snort.org/vrt/advisories/2010/09/23/vrt-rules-2010-09-23.html
it should have been included in the rules released on the 23rd.

Rules to detect attacks targeting this vulnerability are included in
this release and are identified with GID 3, SIDs 17428 and 17429

When I compile the so_rules from source I don't see these 2
rules/sids (17428 and 17429).  I used "snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
--dump-dynamic-rules=/etc/snort/so_rules" to create the .rules
files.  I also went through several of the pre-compiled rules using
the same method and didn't see these rules/sids there either.  Just
to be thorough I looked through all the normal rules and
preproc_rules as well and didn't see them there either.

Am I way off base in what I am doing or should these be showing up?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Snort-users list archive:

--