Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to disable compile-time reload option?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:06:33 -0400

On 9/30/10 3:51 PM, "waldo kitty" <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:
On 9/30/2010 15:40, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
The Host Attribute Table is an awesome feature of newer versions of
Snort that allows you to import a table with your hosts, what services
they are running and on what ports.  A rule that targets http (specified
by the "service" tag) may then inspect traffic that isn't on the
traditional http ports, because snort knows that this host is running an
HTTP service and on which port.

The trick is building the host table... There is Hogger which takes
nmap results and builds the table, and PRADS which passively listens on
your network and will build the table.  I'm using PRADS, since I have
some sensitive devices on my network that choke on an NMAP scan... it's
been working pretty well.

ahhh... ok... i wasn't sure if it was that or if "attributes" was being
used
generically to mean all or some of the snort.conf configuration options...

thanks!

I'll put this in as a feature request for a future version of Snort.

Joel