Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: Snort 2.8.6 & Snort Report 1.3.1 with "No Data..."

From: Jun Wan <junwei_wan () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:01:39 +0000

Hi,

Is anyone able to confirm the following (from the setup guide) , I think there might be errors with two red lines ,
which might be the root cause of "No Data" issue:

sudo tar zxvf barnyard2-1.8.tar.gz
cd barnyard2-1.8
sudo ./configure --with-mysql
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo cp etc/barnyard2.conf /usr/local/snort/etc
sudo mkdir /var/log/barnyard2
sudo chmod 666 /var/log/barnyard2
sudo touch /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo
sudo chown snort.snort /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

These two red lines should be the following:

sudo cp /etc/barnyard2.conf /usr/local/snort/etc                                 the guide misses / in front of etc

sudo chown snort:snort /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo                        the guide misses : between two "snort"

Would anyone please confirm if these are errors in the guide?

Thanks again.

Regards

John