Snort mailing list archives

Re: Linking rules in BASE

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:29:28 -0400

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:08:00 -0400, waldo kitty wrote:

this post, among other things, brings up the following...

On 8/24/2010 17:22, Billy Marshall wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by a sim-link with BASE, I don't recall
ever making
any sim-links. However, the following is from the base_conf.php in your web
directory. It defines the variables for BASE. (assuming your using a Linux
distro and BASE 1.4.4)
If you have moved your rules then the variable 'local_rules_dir' is not
accurate. These also define the links in the output of BASE to
correctly link to
websites.
$external_sig_link = array('bugtraq' =>
array('http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/&apos;, ''),
/*********** corrected 20100104 Bill marshall*/
/* 'snort' => array('http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=&apos;, ''), */
'snort' => array('http://www.snortid.com/snortid.asp?QueryId=&apos;, ''),
'cve' => array('http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=&apos;, ''),
'arachnids' => array('http://www.whitehats.com/info/ids&apos;, ''),

since arachnids/whitehats.com is long gone by several years, why do
we still
have all of the erroneous references to it and its database in the sigs and
references file?

what i find about it now, and for the last 2 or 3 years, is a park
page on some
host out of OZ...

can we get these removed, please?

Yes, we already have a bug open to remove the arachnids references.
We'll also be adding OSVDB as a reference type with the 2.9 release.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist