Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9 & DAQ Issues (daq_static)

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:58:05 -0400

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Korodev <korodev () gmail com> wrote:

Having an issue with the latest 2.9 Beta and DAQ on FreeBSD 8.1. I
have downloaded the DAQ source, configured, compiled, and installed ok
with no errors but when I try to install snort I get the following
error:

checking for daq_load_modules in -ldaq_static... no

   ERROR!  daq_static library not found, go get it from
   http://www.snort.org/.

Is daq-modules-config on your path?  If not add it and try again.  If that
fails please send your config.log.

I confirmed the DAQ libraries and includes are in their appropriate
location and even passed them manually to snort with no avail. I ended
up getting snort to compile by configuring with --disable-static-daq.
Once compiled I'm unable to start snort unless I give it
--daq-dir=/usr/local/lib/daq. Otherwise it complains about not being
able to find the pcap DAQ.

This is as designed.  Snort needs a DAQ, and if none aren't built in, in
your case due to the above, you need to tell Snort where to find the DAQ.

Any help/feedback is much appreciated :)

\\korodev