Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Secureideas-base-devel] BASE 1.5.x and moving forward

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:01:12 -0700

On 8/10/2010 8:14 AM, will () shakingrock com wrote:
Hello,

I would like to solicite assistance and advice from the BASE community
with regards for setting requirements for the BASE 2.0 release. Since
taking over the project from Kevin I have been reviewing the code and have
found that moving forward, it will probably be best for us to rewrite the
engine from scratch. While this may be a large project in the short term
in the long term I feel the current code is
unmaintainable and a new codebase will allow us to easily integrate new
features (like IPv6 support) when the time comes.

The last release in the 1.5.X release chain will be 1.5.5, which will
contain the patches for BASE to run under PHP 5.3. The 1.5.5 release will
still include the Pear::Image and Pear::Graph functionality that is broken
under PHP5.3. If someone wants to develop a work around or patch for this
then I welcome your efforts, but I will be focusing on the 2.0 release.

I would like to solicit assistance from developers who would like to help
with BASE 2.0. In the coming days I will be sending more emails to the
secureideas-base-devel mailing list. If you are interested please contact
me for more details. I hope that BASE can continue to be a flexible
enterprise snort analysis console.

Greetings, Will. Welcome to the team!

I, as I'm sure others are as well, am anxious to get the foundation for
2.0 started. We should begin by drafting a list of features both
required and desired for the new codebase, along with a roadmap.

We should also re-org the developer roster. So those interested should
wave their hands vociferously! And we may want to include some new folks
wishing to participate. I've cc'd the Snort-users list for that purpose,
as well as to get suggestions from the community as to what they'd like
to see in the new BASE.

So, who's in?! :-)

Thanks,
Randy