Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort inline mode is not working with iptables

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:25:46 -0400

On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Hatim Alghamdi wrote:

I ran snort as following
 snort -c snort.empty -TQ and snort -c snort.empty -TQ --disable-inline-initialization
The output was the same! I was expecting a different behavior.

One thing I noticed is that the manual state that the rule application order is
activation->dynamic->pass->drop->sdrop->reject->alert->log
but snort in our case return this
activation->dynamic->pass->drop->alert->log

How can I tell if snort read/initialize IPTables?

-T is just test mode though.  Exchange -T with -D, then try and send traffic through the IPS.  It should go normally.

After you send traffic through it, run a kill with the -USR1 tag:

kill -USR1 <pid of snort>

Then examine your logs (/var/log/messages, or whatever) for the statistics that Snort will print out.  If you see the
counts incrementing, that means that Snort is receiving traffic through the engine.

Joel