Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about downloading rules with Oinkmaster

From: "Andy Berryman" <aberryman () Cymtec com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:05:56 -0500

So there is nothing that tells it I'm trying to get the subscription rules except for my oinkcode now?  Basically all I
need to do is drop the "_s" ?

This is what the page says, which I'm sure you already know.

Configuring Oinkmaster

In order to use Oinkmaster to update Snort with VRT rules you must edit oinkmaster.conf.

In the oinkmaster.conf modify "url" to:

      url = http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/<oinkcode here>/<filename>

Important Note

As noted above, the CURRENT and 2.8 naming conventions have been deprecated as of June 2010 for oinkmaster downloads.
You are responsible for updating your oinkmaster.conf file to reflect your installed version of Snort. Continued
attempts to download outdated versions will result in being banned.

Example for snort 2.8.6.0:

      url = http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/oink_code_removed/snortrules-snapshot-2860.tar.gz