Snort mailing list archives

Re: Recent Rule Changes

From: John York <YorkJ () brcc edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:08:01 +0000

Joel allegedly said:
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:43:50 -0400
From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Subject: [Snort-sigs] Recent Rule Changes

<snip>

For the Subscriber and Registered releases of Snort 2.8.6.0 and Snort 2.8.5.3, the download links >would look as
follows:

Subscriber Release
http://www.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2860.tar.gz/OINKCODE
http://www.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz/OINKCODE

Registered User Release
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2860.tar.gz/OINKCODE
http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz/OINKCODE

You will notice in the above urls the difference in between the two "sub-rules" vs. "reg-rules".  >You will also
notice something else, we no longer have "_s" in the URL anymore.  Many people were >getting confused in the
difference, and we wanted to clear that up by changing the URL easier to >recognize.

<snip>

I've been troubleshooting other problems I'm having downloading rules with pulledpork.  Either I'm misunderstanding the
thread that tells what the new url's are, I'm misreading the pulledpork 0.4.2 perl code, or pulledpork has a bug.  It
looks to me that it always downloads reg-rules, and doesn't have any way in the config file to specify reg-rules or
sub-rules...

Thanks
John