Snort mailing list archives

Re: Default Rules

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:45:51 -0400

Jm2c:

1.       Ideally you should adjust the rulebase to reflect your network. If you are not running Oracle, disable Oracle
rules as an example. Someone could throw Oracle attacks at you all day and you really don't care. ;) You  want to limit
the number of hits you get to be things you need to care about. There are so many random SSH, ICMP, etc scans that no
one could ever follow up on them all.  I use IDS Policy Manager (http://www.activeworx.org/Default.aspx?tabid=55) to
track my rules which makes it a lot easier to see what they all are, turn them one and off, etc.

2.       Good way to "test" it out is to tap traffic outside your internet facing router and see all the bad stuff in
the wild. Your sensor will get a workout. ;)   Not realistic, but you will see rules fire.

3.       My advice is to download Splunk and have it collect your snort logs (or have snort syslog to splunk). The free
version is very cost effective ;) and does not choke on large numbers of entries. It's also helpful to ID patterns in
your alert traffic.  For example, I have a person in Poland who SNMP scans me 1 host at a time, 2 packets a day. For
the past month. :) I doubt I would have noticed that otherwise with all the other daily excitement.

4.       I would not deploy anything deliberately vulnerable other than a purpose built honeypot.