Snort mailing list archives

Re: preprocessor sensitive_data (snort 2.8.6.0)

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:58:35 -0400

We have the same issue. I know this preprocessor is new, and while it
has huge potential, there are some challenges with it.

1. Long strings of numbers trigger false positives.

ex.
I saw this in some web traffic trigger the "SENSITIVE-DATA U.S. Social
Security Numbers w/out dashes" rule...

--10  05/25/2010  STBT    93       93      1      0       3780089812
3780089905
[2 non-ASCII characters]
----  05/25/2010  RTL     68       0       1      0       3780089812
3780089905
[2 non-ASCII characters]
--11  05/24/2010  STBT    122      122     73     0       3780089689
3780089811
[2 non-ASCII characters]
----  05/24/2010  RTL     81       81      73     0       3780089689
3780089811
[2 non-ASCII characters]
--13  05/22/2010  STBT    123      123     92     1       3780089566
3780089688

In those strings there might be consecutive 9 digits that could be a
SSN but the strings them selves are too long making it unlikely they
are actually SSNs. An option to say it has to be exactly 9 digits to
be considered a SSN would help with this.

2. You can only have 1 rule with each default pattern type.

ex.
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET [80,20,25,143,110]
(msg:"SENSITIVE-DATA U.S. Social Security Numbers with dashes";
metadata:service http, service smtp, service ftp-data, service imap,
service pop3; sd_pattern:2,us_social; classtype:sdf; sid:3; gid:138;
rev:1;)

You can NOT split that like so...

alert tcp $HTTP_SERVERS any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"SENSITIVE-DATA
U.S. Social Security Numbers with dashes HTTP"; metadata:service http;
sd_pattern:2,us_social; classtype:sdf; sid:10; gid:138; rev:1;)

alert tcp $SMTP_SERVERS any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 25 (msg:"SENSITIVE-DATA
U.S. Social Security Numbers with dashes SMTP"; metadata:service smtp;
sd_pattern:2,us_social; classtype:sdf; sid:11; gid:138; rev:1;)

If you try you get this error...

ERROR: Sensitive Data rule 138:11 uses a pattern that duplicates rule 138:10.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Being able to split them would provide more targeted detection.

3. From the README.sensitive_data.bz2

Caveats:
    sd_pattern is not compatible with other rule options. Trying to use
    other rule options with sd_pattern will result in an error message.

This makes it difficult to write rules that will not pick up on things
like cookie strings.

Wally