Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help to run snort on linux machine

From: "Adam Richards" <adam.richards () ecimln com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:08:30 -0500

On the attacking host create a packet by first putting the desired payload into a text file.

vi payload.txt

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Then create the packet with the following properties and send it to 192.168.1.22 (or whatever your host is):
set PUSH tcp flag, interface eth0, source port 2424 destination port 81, packet body size 26 and packet data from file
payload.txt

hping3 -P -i eth0 -s 3434 -p 81 -d 26 -E ./payload.txt 192.168.1.1 (or whatever another host on your network is)

On the SNORT host "tail -f /var/log/snorttest/alert" shows that SNORT has been alerted through rule 1394 (sid) which is
exactly the one we wanted to test:

Adam Richards,CISSP | CEH